Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cornerstone

I've been back from Illinois for a week now and had time to recover and think over everything that happened. I had a great time and came back feeling very edified and excited. Although the week ended well it started a little rough. We left on a rainy Sunday morning and the first thing was that we couldn't fit everything in the 3 vehicles which meant we had to leave behind the big fire pit, the boom box, and a cooler. I was most bummed about the boom box which meant very little music at the camp site for the week. Everyone else was upset about the fire pit cause you can't have fires on the ground at c-stone. But we took off and drove through the night with none of us really sleeping. I think I got about 5 minutes in about 36 hours. We arrived at about 5:30am and waited in a 2 mile long line until about 9am (the guys in the band got in early and set us the camp site!). Once at the site, which looked great thanks to our churches 10x20ft circus tent, I realized our roof rack had locked on itself. My dad instructed me to "jam something in there until it pops open", so I asked Scott, the bands drummer, to help me. He grabbed a pocket knife, bad idea, and jammed away. Then he sliced his finger open, almost passed out, had to be taken to the emergency room to get four stitches, and then play 3 shows that week. I'm not sure how he managed it but he did! It was such a bad way to start things off. The week only went up from there though. We enjoyed a slew of great bands, I heard a fantastic seminar on living in community, and just had some great laughs. Even though by the end of the week we were all more than happy to say good bye to one another I believe it was worth feeling completely wiped out for almost a week for it. I suggest going to Cornerstone with friends and enjoying the challenge of living among other people with no plumbing, canned food, and loud music. It really changed me.

Here are some pics. There is a great one of Scott's finger after about 4 days.

No comments: