Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Thoughts on Dance

I took a ballet class last night for the first time I think since the spring. It felt pretty good. Emotionally. Not physically! Although I'm not as sore as I thought I would be. Every time I get back into class I remember all the reasons I wanted to be a famous ballerina. And I also remember all the reasons I quit. After deciding I no longer wanted to pursue dance as a career I felt so free and unburdened but as time goes on I realize it was something I had always wanted and I really do have some feelings of regret. As I think about it deeper though I do remember all the emotions connected with my leaving that life behind. I know God will bless me for following his plans for my life and I really do look forward to seeing what they are. I have also spent alot of time thinking about the importance my dance education had on my life. And I found some really invaluable things. I posses a skill that few others do, I am confident and disciplined, I had some fantastic opportunities, and I have gained an appreciation of all art that I will have for the rest of my life. Not bad for 14 years of my life.

This is a picture of Margot Fonteyn and Rudolph Nureyev in rehearsal. She was what I had always aspired to be. She was a true artist who loved ballet not for the perfection but for the beauty of the dance.

No comments: