Monday, August 25, 2008

My New Addiction

So I'm sort of settling in to life out here is western Michigan. I still don't have a job so basically I do nothing. I finished a puzzle that took me a week to do, I kept a very close watch on the Olympics, and I read the paper almost everyday. And now I'm in the final week before Stephen gets here! Somehow this week is worse than the last three were. The anticipation is making it difficult to say the least.

But anyway I have a new musical addiction. I found this gem of a vintage store with a great record selection and a picked up a few while I was there last week. Besides buying two Neil Diamond albums and a record of the songs from Disney's "Alice in Wonderland" I bought Steve Forberts "Alive on Arrival". I bought it mostly because I know the first track "Goin' Down to Laurel". It was only 25 cents and I knew it would make my dad proud. So I put it on and fell in love. Most of the songs I vaguely know from my dad singing them while I was growing up. But it really is a great album! Some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. If you've never had the pleasure I suggest giving it a listen.


Here's to all the shitty jobs that I despise.
Here's to two-bit guarantees and other lies.
Here's to roads of burning tar and hot cement.
Here's to money in my hand and where it went.

Well, I got my fingers a-tapping on the hard,
stone steps.
I'm waiting for lightning and the rains to fall.
Young lovers are loafin' with their sidewalk smiles
And all their rainbow dreams....

I been livin' an' breathin' in the rat trap town.
Tryna get over where the wall breaks down.
Holdin' my head up with my thin tired arms
and all my rainbow dreams
-- "Steve Forberts Midsummer Night's Toast"

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You missed 2 things from this post:

1) The fact that this move has compelled you to give up the only true craft, knitting... unfathomable.

2) The best lyrics in that song,
"Amy Alice (which daddy always sang as "pain in the ass")
in summer, with a sack lunch
and a punch card.
See my sister with a drag job.
Oh man, she feels like she's a hundred years ago."

Get with it kid :)